One of the questions I’m most frequently asked is, “What is the difference between mentoring and coaching?”
This can be a subjective question, but here is my take on the difference…
A mentor – def: An experienced and trusted adviser. One who educates, guides, and counsels.
Mentoring is different from coaching in that a mentor advises, teaches and facilitates you. Ensuring that you access information and networks you otherwise would not have. You have probably selected your mentor based on the knowledge that they have usually been there and done that, before you. With a mentoring relationship you get to ask the questions, in a coaching relationship they get to ask the questions, looking for an answer from within you.
- You can ask a mentor directly for advice, “How did you do x?”
- Whereas a coach will ask you “How do you think you can do x?”
A mentor may use coaching strategies with you but they will also be directive and informational as well.
Ten things you can expect when you choose my mentoring services in New Zealand or South Australia.
- I bring 17 years of real being in business experience to the table. I’ve owned six businesses over that period, three of which I still own and run. I have also worked with hundreds of businesses and business professionals helping them on their career journey.
- I have 25 years experience as an educator.
- I have worked across a range of industries both in New Zealand and regional Australia, specifically South Australia.
- My mentoring services have a trench based approach, we work from the ground up.
- I roll my sleeves up with you as we get to work on your business
- I respect that if you are going to invest dollars in my time, you want results not just a feel good factor of someone holding your hand.
- To that end, I don’t always make you feel good; I get real! There will be times you may not like what I am saying but best I say it than your bank manager, your key client or your tax office.
- If you are stuck I will help you get unstuck
- I may recommend other providers for you; ranging from accountants, financial advisers, brand and marketing specialists, counsellors or coaches. I have coaches on my team whom I respect for the skills they bring to the table. You may wish or need to invest in both coaching and mentoring.
- I will boost your confidence and fire you up professionally. But you have to do the work to get the results.
If you are based in New Zealand or South Australia and would like to find out more about my mentoring services and how I can help you in your business why not book a fifteen minute discovery session, it’s FREE!