Are you a graduate or school leaver, looking for direction? Are you having trouble defining your way forward? You could be a multi-potentialite.
I recently came across the term multi-potentialite whilst reading an article on seek.co.nz. It basically means that you are good at a lot of things, and could, therefore, end up studying or working in a variety of roles. While, this is an awesome position to be in, it can also make it difficult to actually decide what road to follow in tertiary study; or what jobs to apply for, as most workplaces, advertise roles based upon a prescribed set of competencies and skills.
Looking back, I believe as a school leaver and a graduate I was a multi-potentialite. I recall feeling frustrated when asked the question – “What are you going to do when you leave school?” Or, “What are you going to do with your degree?” In hindsight, the questions were hypothetical, as the job (and, in fact, the company I founded) was a role that had not been invented and is still not a known career pathway today!
So my advice to you if you are a graduate or school leaver, is:
- Don’t fret if you are leaving school and don’t know what to study, when some of your friends do.
- Don’t fret if you are recently graduated and are not sure what job you can secure
- Don’t fret if you friends or work colleagues seem to have things together and are travelling well on their career path, whilst you are not.
(This can also apply if you are at a mid career change point and don’t know what’s next… Don’t fret!)
Whilst, I appreciate that if you have a large student debt or other financial commitments to meet, it’s easy to feel pressured about “where to next?” Just remember, finding direction can be enlightening and part of the fun. With a degree of effort and a can find work you are most suited to or start a business that delivers that to you.
Three steps to help you find the direction you need to move forward:
- Take a deep breath and step back from the detail and the stress.
- Take the FREE passion test and reengage with what you are passionate about. The test will help you determine your top five passions. It can reveal a lot about where you are in or out of alignment, and reveal what really fires you up and gets you into flow.
- Book a time to connect with me to talk about these results and where to next. Talking to a neutral business mentor will really help you to get a different perspective on you next best move. Contact me HERE.